Pattern company reviews

A friend recently has shown interest in learning to sew and asked for a list of pattern companies I recommend. After sending her this list I thought it would be helpful, and amusing, to others. So I decided to make a page of my recommended pattern companies based on the email with most of the original commentary. 

Patterns:

     The best of the major pattern companies.
 It has a good selection and can be fairly cheap if you get them on sale. 
Has cute vintage reprint patterns; not a lot but it's growing.
It has some fantastic designers too!
 Being one of the "Big 3" instructions patterns companies it has its issues but all in all it's pretty good.

    This is a free web magazine that was created by Colette patterns and if you subscribe then you get 2 free patterns a month. 
They are epatterns (so you have to print them) but they are super simple, diverse, and are great staple garments. Even if you don't want to subscribe, the free magazine is a good read.

I've only used one of their patterns but I'm already sold! 
Very good instructions and high-quality pattern paper. My love of their Archer Button up can be found here 


Here's another short list of patterns I have not tried but have heard fantastic things about.

  I would suggest their "Decades Everyday" line, as the other ones are true vintage patterns which for the first time sewist can be daunting (but not impossible). 

  Their patterns are eye candy!
 Like wow!
 They have done a lovely job of mixing the vintage vibe with modern clothing styles! I'm personally in love with their Lady Grey, Ceyton, and Eclair patterns. 
This is the brand that runs Seamwork patterns and if you don't want to subscribe they offer the Seamwork patterns on their website too (personally subscribing is the cheaper option).

  Another beautiful and funky vintage inspired company! They are more of the 60s Mod style then Colette's 30s/40s but are so fun! They are based in the UK but I will link a few US based store that might carry their patterns.

 My favorite fabric shops:

-Joann Fabrics 
  This is the most well known big box sewing store. I shop there often but I have a small list of issues with it.
 It's a big box store.
So that means a high turnover rate in employees (which means 9/10 employees either don't sew or craft so they can be no help, you are better off asking another customer). 
This also means low-quality fabric with high-quality fabric prices (Never buy ANYTHING without coupons or a sale), this may not matter at first but after a while, you will notice a difference. I only really go there if I need thread (Gutermann is the best!), notions, or things I just can't get anywhere else. 
They really are trying but their garment making selection is eh. 
For costumes and quilting purposes it's much better but a bunch of the apparel fabric is cheap looking or not diverse enough (or look just plain ugly!). But with every shortcoming is a silver lining! They have a few designer lines like Gertie and Yaya Han's ( the latter is cosplay/costumes but still cool stuff) and with a nice stack of coupons can be affordable!

This is a local shop, their website isn't great but if you live in the area you should totally visit them!
The fabric they carry is modern, cute, and just all around darling! They also carry some hard to find/unique fabric options too! And their lace section!!! Drool worthy!! 

Oh boy. This place. there are no words to describe how much I love this place! Actually, there's a lot of words but I'll do my best to keep it brief. 
Upsides: BEAUTIFUL FABRIC! ENDLESS SELECTION OF INDIE PATTERNS! LOVELY WEBSITE! FANTASTIC STORE!!! 
Downsides: In Denver, CO. BUT if you are in that neighborhood GO THERE! It's a life changing experience! 
The Upside to the Downside: Their website is awesome! Ordering from them is a breeze! And they will often throw in a few goodies along with your order!


***I'd like to note all of the opinions are my own and I am not endorsed by or affiliated with any of these companies.***
If you sign up to Seamwork Magazine subscription then I will get a free month as commission and you will get a discount (win-win!) 

Comments

Popular Posts