A Coat For All Seasons

My First post of the year!! 
Now that the year is over I'm catching up on the few recent projects I haven't blogged about yet. 
My Christmas holidays were pretty uneventful sewing wise but I got a few things completed.
 So here we go into the New year! Hopefully it'll be just as good as 2016!

~~~

My first coat! I'm pretty excited about this one ~
 In fact, between making the coat and writing this, I have worn it almost every time I've gone out.
 It's not perfect, but I really like how it turned out!  
The design can work for the 40s and 50s but also is a bit reminiscent of turn of the century cycling outfits (at least to me it does).

Even though the title says 'all seasons' the truth is that this coat is a bit too light for super cold weather. Lucky for me, I live in Texas so there's maybe a week of that kind of weather. 


The jacket is made of a brown flannel with a subtle black/brown twill weave and lined with a quilting cotton.
My initial goal was to make a coat that I could wear with my swing dancing/vintage wear. 
Although it won't get super big, it doesn't squish them down too much.
The pattern is drafted by me, except for the sleeves (because who honestly likes sewing/drafting sleeves? Not me) which are from a 1940s vintage pattern.
 They are a bit puffy-er when worn but I'll line it eventually and that will help with the puffiness. 


The bust had to be taken in a bit but other than that it fit well. 
The buttons are slightly off too but are easily fixable (which means I'll never get around to fixing them... oh well)


This is the lining I used for the visible parts of the coat. For the parts that don't show much, like the back, are in another fabric (because I was short on fabric).


There's no visible stitching other than some hand stitching around the collar, the back button thingy, and armscye. 


This vintage pin was too perfect not to put on the lapel.


Anybody know what that button thingy is called?
 I've seen it a lot but I still don't know what it's proper name is.



I think I'm going to use the Historical Sew Monthly-ish format to sum up my garment at the end of project posts. Just as a nice summary for both me and you to reference quickly.

The Purpose: A fall/winter/early spring coat to wear with retro and vintage clothes (especially dresses.)
Fabric: 100% cotton brown flannel from Joanns and quilters cotton also from Joanns
Pattern: self-drafted except for the sleeves which are from a vintage pattern
Year/Era: 1940s/50s with inspiration from earlier periods
Notions: Thread, 6 buttons 
Hours to complete: I'm not sure - not more than a day or two.
First worn: The day after I completed it and worn almost every day since.
Total cost: free (technically) except for thread as everything was in the stash and/or gifted to me

Comments

Popular Posts