1880s Silk Dress

Forgive my lack of posting! I've been so busy with college/school stuff and my wrist has been hurting and aching like crazy. Sewing and knitting are practically impossible for more than a few seconds. Typing has also been hard but not as bad so I'm taking advantage of when it's not as bad. 

Finally!! I'm getting around to finishing this post on my 1880s bustle dress! (You can find the first post on the undergarments here. Forgive the bad writing and photos, it was early on in my blogging days.) 


I was given two 5 or 6-yard bolts of silk brocade that were from China (I'm not sure when or the specifics behind it) sometime last year. I was prepared to let it sit in my stash until I found the perfect project for it. Like I mentioned in my previous post I found a picture in Harper's Bazaar and I thought.... It'd be perfect! So I decided to use the purple flower brocade and I bought some black silk satin from Renaissance Fabrics for the contrasting bustle and faux vest.


The pattern I used for the bodice is TV463 French Vest Bodice and the rest is self-drafted (this is not including undergarments). I really like the bodice! It fits fairly well and I love the look of it! I've been trying to find ways of incorporating it in my modern day-to-day clothes. 



Looking at the bustle now I think I need to redo it, it's kinda sad looking. Sitting in the car probably didn't help anything. Maybe some silk organza? 
I'd also like to make the apron portion bigger.
It seems disproportionate.
The pleated trim on the skirt is the same black cotton I lined the bodice in. I chose the cotton over the silk because it is easier to clean after getting dirty and I am less worried about it being destroyed.


Are these shoes awesome or what?! They are an American Dutchess but I'm not sure what the name of the shoe style is. They are pretty comfortable and just plain pretty!  They have been discontinued but... American Dutchess and their sister company, Royal Vintage Shoes, are always coming out with beautiful shoes for multiple eras!

Comments

Popular Posts