RTW vs Handmade or Maggie is a part-time philosopher


So while I get used to my new computer and the way things are set up I’m going to post a few “filler” posts. These are mostly my thoughts on my plans and especially the Major Wardrobe Remaking of 2016/17.

~

read·y-to-wear ~ adjective (of clothes) made for the general market and sold through stores rather than made to order for an individual customer; off the rack.

Last week I finally finished a cardigan that I had been working on for a month! It had been a struggle but I won in the end. This was a major accomplishment for me in the realm of knitting.  For years I have had a terrible time learning to knit. Crochet? No problem! But knitting seemed impossible. Two years ago I completed my first knitted project which was a Jayne Cobb hat from the show Firefly. I hadn’t done any knitting until a few months ago when I finished two pairs of socks! So needless to say my relationship with knitting has rectified and we are getting along just fine.  For the past week or so I have been wearing this new cardigan as often as I am able. Until one day when I wore one of my ready to wear (RTW) sweaters and I had a bit of a revelation…

RTW clothes don’t make me happy.

Now before you think I’ve gone off my rocker, let me explain. Most of y'all either have clothes or blankets that were handmade by grandma, a parent, a friend, yourself, or maybe you bought a piece from a small business. When you look at it, wear it, or even clean it don’t you have a different reaction than a garment you bought at the local Target or Old Navy? There is a feeling of reverence and pride that comes with these garments; you have a completely different mindset when it comes to these objects. When I put on the RTW sweater I didn’t see the small mistakes like I did with my me-made cardigan. I didn’t reflect on each and every time I learned a new stitch or made a major mistake and had to redo a large portion of it (I’m still salty about that bit).  Nor did I remember the excitement I felt when it was so close to completion! It was an empty garment. Void of any personal attachment or relationship for me.

The same could be said for vintage or bought handmade pieces. They have history. There’s thought behind them. The seamstress that made that dress, skirt, or whatever went the extra mile to hand sew that hook ‘n’ bar in rather then machine sew it in. Or maybe it’s the funky and unconventional lining? That 50's prom dress that you saw at the vintage resale shop, did the girl that wore it end up going? Did she go with anybody special? Did she and her friends go shopping together and pick it out? Or did her mother make it for her or surprise her with it? There’s interest and a story in the pieces.
Now back to the RTW garment; none of these feelings are behind it. It may look lovely but there is no feeling or mystery behind them. Although multiple people worked on it, none of these people ever imbued it with this ‘life’. Odds are they were working on it to get that paycheck from that immense corporation that employs them. You’ll never talk to them, see them, or even know their name. Likewise they will never know you or their creation.

Now you might be either be saying “I totally agree!” or “Wow! Maggie is a genius!!! She's a budding philosopher!!! Amazing!”, or probably more accurately, “Well she really is off her rocker”. No matter what your final reaction is, I would like to point out that I am not saying that you should convert to purely handmade/vintage because I know not everyone can make that commitment. If I achieved anything with this post let it be to change the way you look at your clothes. Hopefully, when you close this tab, you get out Grandma’s quilt or that gift from your friend/relative and use it and love it. That quilt will be useful now that it’s getting colder and that fun vintage necklace is that perfect accessory to make a boring outfit that much more interesting. Plus who doesn't love a stranger complimenting you on your outfit?! It’ll make both of your days that much better! With that being said, (and you’re probably hoping that I’ll get off my soapbox now) I truly hope that I leave you appreciating those garments that much more. Perhaps you might start adding some fun additions to your house and wardrobe!

~

Comments

Popular Posts