A revelation, an idea, and a list

Alrighty. Prepare yourself for a long and (mostly) photo-less post.

Recently I've had a bit of a revelation.... I'm not happy with ready to wear clothes. This is due to the fact that I'm of a small size, am picky about the clothes I wear, and they should fit.  Over the past few months I've noticed my style is changing slightly, this is both a blessing and a curse. Upside is I am getting rid of clothes I've had since middle school (yes they still fit 6 years later) plus I'm getting a streamlined and unique wardrobe. Downside... I'm (just about) completely redoing my closet. So for the Fall/Winter season I'm filling in my wardrobe slowly and will be using this blog to document this endeavor.

First up is finding patterns I'd like to make. I already have quite a lot of patterns on hand but they are mostly vintage/costumey/historical. As much as I like those things I don't want my closet to be 100% vintage.
 So I did some shopping around online...
 Now I'd like to point out that I'm not crazy thrilled with the Big 3 pattern companies. Most of this is  personal preference (but that's another post for another day). So in my search I came across Closet Case's Ginger Jeans which are a very popular pattern and the Archer Button up shirt from Grainline Studio.

 As I type this I still haven't tried these out, although from what I've heard and read they are fantastic patterns! I am also a premium member of Seamwork Magazine amd I highly recommend this subscription. It's only about $6 a month and you get two free patterns (in the form of credits) from either their past issues or the current one. You can redeem these credits whenever and each pattern is at max 3 hour to make. This is a fab deal for me as they cover a lot of basic garments both for men and woman. You can follow this link to their page.

A lot of people, when doing something like this, will make a mood board and a specific color scheme. I am a lot more fluid in my process. I did pick a basic pallet but most of the garments are replacing already owned pieces. My pinterest board sorta acts as my inspiration/guide. So to break up the monotony of me talking here's a handful of photos that I'm particularly wanting to recreate or drawing inspiration from.




Now this is not going to be a fast project. I've broken it down. This is looking like a long term project. I don't have a lot of clothes in general but I'm juggling school, two jobs, commission work (especially in October and Holidays), and a limited budget. 

So here's the game plane:
All my dresses are me-made so that's covered. But since it's fall/winter season I need button downs (yay!) and tops. Sooooo, I'd like to made at least 3 in flannel and one or two (for now) in cotton shirtings. I am going to keep most of my RTW tee shirts for sentimental reasons. I have a few blouses and such that are RTW but they are either too new or I like them too much to rid of them yet. So that's going to be my first step and I'll take it one garment at a time.


*Disclaimer* using my link to the Seamwork Magazine and subscribing via it will give me a free month of Seamwork Magazine and you will get $3 off your first month! I'd be mightily obliged if you'd use it

Comments

Popular Posts